Skip to main content

Tova Harris - Blog #3 - Kaplan & Haenlein's 5 Social Media Recommendations as it relates to Librarianship!

 







As a public librarian, I am learning so much already from this class in how and in what ways we "meet" our community and stakeholders by way of social media.

For Week 3, I'd love to discuss Kaplan and Haenlein's (2010) article, as it relates to the article's focus on 5 essential recommendations for using social media.

1. Be active - "social media is not a monologue, it's a dialogue."

2. Be interesting - "boring gets ignored."

3. Be humble - "don't try to be everything to everyone."

4. Be unprofessional (but only a little!) "break away from corporate tone."

5. Be honest - "transparency builds trust." 


So what do these key points break down to when it comes to being an active social media-oriented public librarian? Well, I think it can translate into many types of ways of "showing up," but I would further connect these 5 recommendations to examples of how I plan to use them.

#1. Be active - I would regularly post updates, events, and book recs. polls, memes, and even livestreams like "what's new this week?" (although I'm sure attendance would be poor at first).

#2.Be interesting - I find it interesting to make my social media posts lively and engaging by skipping long, text-heavy posts. Instead, I use GIFs, stickers, pop culture, and, most importantly, memes to capture attention. I think an example of a post that not only engages teens but also interacts with them would be a "BookTok Challenge," where teens are tasked with recreating or acting out a scene from a popular YA book.

#3. Be humble - as someone who is already considered "extremely old" by most teen patrons, I would try to show up in teen spaces with respect, not authority. This would mean not lecturing teen patrons, but rather inviting collaboration. This could be achieved by establishing a "Teen Social Media Council" to help manage the library account and select weekly themes.


#4. Be unprofessional - translates to me as loosening the tone in whicch I post content; avoid sounding like a school principal, letting my personality (or cultivated online presence) show, demonstrating to my teen patrons that I am more than just "their/the librarian," and creating tiktok's that have a theme of "POV'" so that the content is from a more equal standpoint. 

#5. Be honest - the most honest thing I can do as a public librarian actively trying to create ongoing criteria for creating content, is to ask for feedback from our teen patrons - I don't want to pretend to know every trend. By admitting that, I potentially open a door for patrons to "teach you" and feel comfortable and safe enough to engage with me in such a meaningful way. 


With these foundations in mind, I hope to learn more about their application in everyday social media "quests," to which I am most thankful for Kaplan & Haenlein's help!




Comments

  1. These are all fantastic ways to facilitate better relationships with teens through social media! #3 is especially important--there's an ingrained view of teens as unruly and in need of discipline, and while some teens can certainly be a handful (I'm often staffed in our very busy teen room!), talking down to them isn't going to do any of us much good. It's so critical that teens feel valued and respected--that's what encourages them to come back and contribute ideas!

    The library honestly has so much potential for meme generation. I wonder if there's room for simple posts on day to day library activities, like shelving and trying to locate that one pesky book? That could help viewers feel like they've got the "inside scoop" on what's going on at their favorite library. You'd need to strike a balance between showing off "library life" and being understandable...though it would be very entertaining to meme about trying to adjust the settings in our often aged data management trackers, like Drupal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Robertazzi9/23/2025 09:21:00 AM

    Hi Tova!

    I love how you connected the five recommendations to real examples. It makes them so easy to imagine in action. The BookTok challenge idea is awesome and such a fun way to get teens involved. Teens just want to feel heard and respected, and the staff in the teen department at my library all strive to do that, and the attendance at programs shows it's working!

    The “Teen Social Media Council” is so smart, too; it gives teens ownership and probably makes them way more excited to engage. I remember learning about this in a teen literature course I took last year, and I think it's a smart approach to actually ask them what they want to see, since the space is for them, after all. I agree entirely about loosening the tone and letting your personality shine through. That’s what makes social media posts feel real and fun, and something I also appreciate seeing from other libraries' social media and other companies' media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury your Gays" Backlash

Image source: The 'Killing Eve' Finale has Infuriated Queer Fans   Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury Your Gays" Backlash By Madeline Feehan Some of the fiercest allies and supporters of diversity, equity, and inclusion (and some of its greatest opponents) can be found in the unlikeliest of places: Tumblr, Twitter, and AO3. What do these people all have in common? They are heavily immersed in fandoms. Whether they're reblogging content or creating their own, whether they're starting Reddit threads, writing fanfiction, drawing fanart, posting to their stories, making video edits, or starting petitions, these fans all share a passion for fictional worlds. So what happens when a fandom all comes together and agrees on one thing? This is what happened with the Killing Eve fandom after the show's finale. Sometimes audiences are split between opinions. For example, when a beloved book gets turned into a movie, some will argue that the book's better or that...

Kristen Strmel Blog Post #11: #UnwhitewashTheBadBatch: How Social Media Holds Creators Accountable

Image source I want to say “It’s always a good day when I can talk about Star Wars,” but that’s not always true. Loving something means acknowledging its flaws, and it’s pretty safe to say that Star Wars as a franchise has a racism problem, from the lack of the BIPOC characters in its movies (and accession to stereotypes when they were depicted), to the racist harassment that that BIPOC actors in recent shows have faced from certain sections of the fandom. While the franchise has taken steps to address these issues in recent years, it’s still got work to do–and if it doesn’t, fans are more than willing to call it out. This exact thing happened in 2021, with the release of The Bad Batch. This show follows a group of clones (soldiers born and bred specifically to fight for the Galactic Republic, introduced in the Prequel Trilogy) known as “The Bad Batch” as they try to find their place in the galaxy during the Empire’s rise. Each member of the The Bad Batch had “desirable mutations” tha...

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries

Image Source: Nana a Mischevious Monkey by Shum Zay on Amazon Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries By Madeline Feehan Is an AI author really an author? Are AI books valid, and should they be on library shelves, or should we steer clear of them? What about  AI- assisted   work? Is the best compromise adding some to our collection and clearly labeling them as AI, or is it best to not even indulge at all?  Do you find work that was written with the help of AI but was also written by a human less egregious than something entirely written by AI? Should those books still be labeled?  These are some of the many fascinating questions discussed by guest speakers who came to my library. Lisa Zuena, Nicole Scherer, and a third librarian from the Nassau County Library Association came in to talk about AI slop and what it means for the future. AI slop refers to poorly edited, weirdly formatted, strangely written books that find their way into ordinary collections. This happens w...