Skip to main content

Rachel Robertazzi-Sayville Fan Fest!

 




x




If you've ever wished you could walk into the library dressed as your favorite superhero, wizard, villain, or oddly specific side character from a 1980s cartoon, Sayville Fan Fest is the day you have been waiting for! 


In a much, much smaller style than Comic Con, for the fifth year in a row, our library transforms from a peaceful haven of books and quiet study into a full-blown celebration of pop culture, fandom, and creative chaos (the good kind). This year, the theme is Mario, and we will have RC car racing for the first time! We will also have a newly expanded retro arcade set up in one of our larger rooms, a board game expo, a gaming bus, a scavenger hunt, and much more! 

This is the second year I have run a staff yard sale at the event, with all proceeds going to the Friends of Sayville Library. Last year was the first year I did it, and I took all donations from co-workers to see what would sell and what wouldn't. Well, a lot didn't sell lol, but we did make $130! This year, I changed things a bit and collected donations only for pop culture. Think Marvel/DC, Legos, Star Wars —basically anything with a fandom. As I write this, I have a ton of donations behind my desk, including board games, puzzles, plushies, Funko Pops, tote bags, books, DVDs, decor, and comic books, all ready to sell. I have everything sorted into bins by price: everything on this table is $2, everything on this table is $3, and so on. I would like to make more than $150 this year. We also finally got the Friends group set up with Zelle, so I am hoping we get more money that way, purely because if people don't have cash on them, they will still be able to buy things. 


We promote this event on Facebook and Instagram, in our newsletter, and through signage throughout the library. During the event, we will be posting live updates through pics and Instagram stories. It really is a fun event, and this is coming from someone who is not a comic con type of person. I highly recommend that your library host an event like this; it is so much fun to set up and promote, and patrons really enjoy it, as does the staff!

Comments

  1. Hi Rachel, thanks for the inspiration! As a comic con fan, I would love to implement a program like this in my library. In my Resources for Young Adults class, we have to come up with a final program proposal and someone proposed an interactive cosplay workshop that could be part of a series and done in the weeks before a library con. I think the con is a great idea, and libraries can really get creative with the programs leading up to it as well. Rather than doing everything on the day of, you can host things like cosplay workshops and fan clubs to get a read on what's popular and what should be included. It sounds like a ton of work, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun! And seems like a great way to advertise the event on your socials! I also love the yard sale idea, especially making it themed around the con's overarching theme. I hope you guys have a great turn out! I know the Middle Country Library does a kind of craft sale that highlights women-owned businesses and organizations. I love that libraries are really trying to have these big events to get people excited about visiting their library. We don't have a particularly large community, library, or budget, but we do periodic events that tend to draw larger crowds, like our scarecrow festival and gingerbread house decorating day. I bet we would be able to pull off something larger if we had better social marketing..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury your Gays" Backlash

Image source: The 'Killing Eve' Finale has Infuriated Queer Fans   Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury Your Gays" Backlash By Madeline Feehan Some of the fiercest allies and supporters of diversity, equity, and inclusion (and some of its greatest opponents) can be found in the unlikeliest of places: Tumblr, Twitter, and AO3. What do these people all have in common? They are heavily immersed in fandoms. Whether they're reblogging content or creating their own, whether they're starting Reddit threads, writing fanfiction, drawing fanart, posting to their stories, making video edits, or starting petitions, these fans all share a passion for fictional worlds. So what happens when a fandom all comes together and agrees on one thing? This is what happened with the Killing Eve fandom after the show's finale. Sometimes audiences are split between opinions. For example, when a beloved book gets turned into a movie, some will argue that the book's better or that...

Kristen Strmel Blog Post #11: #UnwhitewashTheBadBatch: How Social Media Holds Creators Accountable

Image source I want to say “It’s always a good day when I can talk about Star Wars,” but that’s not always true. Loving something means acknowledging its flaws, and it’s pretty safe to say that Star Wars as a franchise has a racism problem, from the lack of the BIPOC characters in its movies (and accession to stereotypes when they were depicted), to the racist harassment that that BIPOC actors in recent shows have faced from certain sections of the fandom. While the franchise has taken steps to address these issues in recent years, it’s still got work to do–and if it doesn’t, fans are more than willing to call it out. This exact thing happened in 2021, with the release of The Bad Batch. This show follows a group of clones (soldiers born and bred specifically to fight for the Galactic Republic, introduced in the Prequel Trilogy) known as “The Bad Batch” as they try to find their place in the galaxy during the Empire’s rise. Each member of the The Bad Batch had “desirable mutations” tha...

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries

Image Source: Nana a Mischevious Monkey by Shum Zay on Amazon Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries By Madeline Feehan Is an AI author really an author? Are AI books valid, and should they be on library shelves, or should we steer clear of them? What about  AI- assisted   work? Is the best compromise adding some to our collection and clearly labeling them as AI, or is it best to not even indulge at all?  Do you find work that was written with the help of AI but was also written by a human less egregious than something entirely written by AI? Should those books still be labeled?  These are some of the many fascinating questions discussed by guest speakers who came to my library. Lisa Zuena, Nicole Scherer, and a third librarian from the Nassau County Library Association came in to talk about AI slop and what it means for the future. AI slop refers to poorly edited, weirdly formatted, strangely written books that find their way into ordinary collections. This happens w...