Skip to main content

Tova Harris - Blog Post #7 - Promoting and Assessing ComicsPlus and TIkTok Social Media Promotion

 

                                                (source from ComicPlus App)


As a librarian, I am always wondering about ways to connect patrons to accessible and inclusive services within our libraries. 

And as a librarian within Adult Services, I don't have access to ongoing interaction or community for teens and children. Still, I have seen, from my job's recent purchase of the digital comics and graphic novel platform (developed by LibraryPass), ComicsPlus. 

What is impressive is how much range and content this platform offers: it has age-appropriate collections for kids, teens, and adults, works on any device, and is FREE with a library card. Its filters (like age-level, genre, and format) make it user-friendly and get patrons familiar with the information-seeking behavior of databases. What I love the most is that it offers offline access! To me, this is a big win for accessibility and equity.

But how do I, as a librarian, (theoretically) help connect the children's/teens community to this outstanding resource? It would be connected to a strategic social media plan, followed by a formalized assessment with generated metrics. From what I've seen so far, ComicsPlus is underused since we purchased its licensing, and I am figuring out how to have it gain traction, such as pairing it with reading challenges, TikTok campaigns, or library events. 

How about this? In the spirit of using the language of our teens, I would generate TikTok videos to show visual previews of extremely popular manga, create a "Marvel or manga" rivalry post, and, if possible, even a teen testimonial.

Using the Reach, Frequency, Clickthroughs, Site Stickiness, and Conversions metric model, I think I would try to track it as follows:

Reach: How many teen patrons saw my TikTok posts? 

Frequency: Were followers coming back for more?

Clickthroughs: Did they tap the link in the teens department bio to check out the ComicsPlus link?

Site Stickiness: When using the platform, did they stay and explore multiple titles?

Conversions: Did they actually read something or start using the platform?

Now ComicsPlus thankfully offers the following metrics on their own platform: total logins, total titles viewed, unique users (individual patrons), pages read, most popular titles, and even device type. I think the importance of connecting tools that cross-reference social media and a platform's own devised metrics is warranted. I am not particularly sure what or how that comes together, so please feel free to reply below and let me know your thoughts!

Comments

  1. Hi Tova, thanks for this insightful post! ComicsPlus sounds like it would be a perfect fit for my library. Graphic novels are probably the most popular section of my library, and I know the kids would appreciate this free resource. I love how it's so accessible and teaches kids navigation and filtering which will make them better searchers in the actual library. I also think TikTok would be a great place to promote this service because that is the most teen-friendly platform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury your Gays" Backlash

Image source: The 'Killing Eve' Finale has Infuriated Queer Fans   Blog Post #11: Killing Eve and "Bury Your Gays" Backlash By Madeline Feehan Some of the fiercest allies and supporters of diversity, equity, and inclusion (and some of its greatest opponents) can be found in the unlikeliest of places: Tumblr, Twitter, and AO3. What do these people all have in common? They are heavily immersed in fandoms. Whether they're reblogging content or creating their own, whether they're starting Reddit threads, writing fanfiction, drawing fanart, posting to their stories, making video edits, or starting petitions, these fans all share a passion for fictional worlds. So what happens when a fandom all comes together and agrees on one thing? This is what happened with the Killing Eve fandom after the show's finale. Sometimes audiences are split between opinions. For example, when a beloved book gets turned into a movie, some will argue that the book's better or that...

Kristen Strmel Blog Post #11: #UnwhitewashTheBadBatch: How Social Media Holds Creators Accountable

Image source I want to say “It’s always a good day when I can talk about Star Wars,” but that’s not always true. Loving something means acknowledging its flaws, and it’s pretty safe to say that Star Wars as a franchise has a racism problem, from the lack of the BIPOC characters in its movies (and accession to stereotypes when they were depicted), to the racist harassment that that BIPOC actors in recent shows have faced from certain sections of the fandom. While the franchise has taken steps to address these issues in recent years, it’s still got work to do–and if it doesn’t, fans are more than willing to call it out. This exact thing happened in 2021, with the release of The Bad Batch. This show follows a group of clones (soldiers born and bred specifically to fight for the Galactic Republic, introduced in the Prequel Trilogy) known as “The Bad Batch” as they try to find their place in the galaxy during the Empire’s rise. Each member of the The Bad Batch had “desirable mutations” tha...

Madeline Feehan Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries

Image Source: Nana a Mischevious Monkey by Shum Zay on Amazon Blog Post #12: AI Books and Libraries By Madeline Feehan Is an AI author really an author? Are AI books valid, and should they be on library shelves, or should we steer clear of them? What about  AI- assisted   work? Is the best compromise adding some to our collection and clearly labeling them as AI, or is it best to not even indulge at all?  Do you find work that was written with the help of AI but was also written by a human less egregious than something entirely written by AI? Should those books still be labeled?  These are some of the many fascinating questions discussed by guest speakers who came to my library. Lisa Zuena, Nicole Scherer, and a third librarian from the Nassau County Library Association came in to talk about AI slop and what it means for the future. AI slop refers to poorly edited, weirdly formatted, strangely written books that find their way into ordinary collections. This happens w...